Monday, June 04, 2007

Coming up next

I will probably always keep this post at the top, so just because it looks familiar, doesn't mean that there isn't new stuff right below it. In any case...

Here's what you can look forward to in this blog: (Or, rather, "that to which you can look forward"... or is it "that forward to which you can look"?)

The next thing I want to talk about, in a post yet to be finished, is why it's OK for software to send information about your actions to a central server, as long as this is explained when you download, start, or first use the software. In almost all cases, this information is lumped with information from all other users (it's aggregate and cannot be traced back to you individually) or is only read and interpreted by computers with no human intervention. Examples: the iTunes mini-store, FireFox, Google's anti-phishing plug-in, the Google Toolbar, etc.

I also want to talk about my perspectives on Google Book Search (especially in light of this and this and this and this) and on the China censorship thing, also here. Ah, yes, and on this extremely interesting "feature" of the latest version of Google Desktop, which I first heard about from this blogger but was, of course, also featured on SlashDot. And, and the DoJ subpoena thing seems to be concluded.

After I do some more reading (and thinking), I want to talk about The Transparent Society (Chapter 1 here) and why that kind of transparency is the only way to prevent situations like this and this. Privacy, secrecy, transparency, and security are all closely tied (in my opinion, only the guilty have anything to hide), so I might also bring this kind of thing into it as well.

This USA Today article also clearly deserves a review. It shows how what you say on social networking sites can come back to affect you later, that it is not private. Who knew?!?! Ah, look, the FBI made an announcement about this that, believe it or not, is even MORE retarded. And now, even The New York Daily News has something to say.

Not only do people not know how to manage their online presence, they also get mad and confused when it comes to their appearance (or lack thereof) on Google search results. Companies simply expect to be ranked highly, and some people think they can ask Google to remove them from search results entirely. Idiots.

This article is also worth blogging about sometime soon. In one sentence: The New Jersey legislature is considering a bill that would require operators of public forums to collect users' legal names and addresses, and effectively disallow anonymous speech on online forums.

Some people think you have a right to get on an airplane or bus without showing ID or being searched. (link, link, link, link). Like I say here, I think this is nonsense. It's like students claiming that they have a constitutional right to not do work, say whatever they want whenever they want, do whatever they want, harass teachers, not allow their things to be confiscated, etc. What's wrong with this? Well, when you expect a service from a group of people (education from a school, or transportation from a bus company, airline, bus station, airport, etc), sometimes you are required to follow the rules those people ask of you, even if those rules can be interpreted as "unconstitutional" by a narrow-minded fool. It's like saying a confidentiality / nondisclosure contract I voluntarily sign is violating my right to free speech. Or like eating at a restaurant and then refusing to pay because your money is your property and you don't wish to part with it. I'm going to have to find more articles about not showing ID at airports, then I'll blog about it. In particular, one article I remember seeing said you can refuse to show ID if you're willing to be thoroughly searched - the webpage then said "Choose to do this, and then tell us what happens to you!". When I find this again, I'll write about it. If you know where it is, please let me know.

This is also interesting - US govt subpoenas sent to ISPs!

Speculating about Google's future might also be fun sometime, but I doubt I can outdo the classic "EPIC" animation.

Stay tuned!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bernardo! I like your blog. It's on a really unique topic, and you're a great writer! I look forward to future posts!

--Jessica (DeoDuce)

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks, Jessica!

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home